Bipolar disorder and Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain was arguably one of the greatest songwriters of his generation. With his band Nirvana, he gave three albums of original material to the world before completing suicide at age 27. He also had bipolar disorder.
People diagnosed with bipolar disorder are 10 to 20 times more likely to complete suicide than the general population. The extreme swings of mood generated by bipolar can be difficult to live with – but they can be managed.
There are many different types of medication available, and you will need to speak to your GP or psychiatrist about which will work best for you. Using a medication regime in combination with counselling and psychology can give you tools that will help you to ride the storms more easily and stay in control.
The website PsychEducation.org goes into detail about several approaches that have been shown to be successful in working to manage bipolar disorder:
- Identifying signs of relapse and making plans for early detection and response;
- Using education to increase agreement between doctor, patient and family about what it being treated and why;
- Emphasis on the need to stay on medications even when well;
- Stress management, problem-solving, and focus on improving relationships; and
- Regular daily “rhythms” for sleep, exercise, eating, activities
Give us a call today or contact us through the email form on our website if you’d like more information about how we can assist you in managing bipolar disorder.