5 alarming facts about workplace mental health in Australia
If you’re an employer or HR manager, ignoring mental health in the workplace is not just bad for your employees, it’s bad for your business.
An article published in HC Magazine today revealed five shocking facts about mental illness in the workplace that you ignore at your peril:
- A total of 3.2 days per worker are lost each year through workplace stress
- Stress-related workers’ compensation claims have doubled in recent years, costing over $10 billion each year
- A survey of over 5,000 workers indicated that 25% of workers took time off each year for stress-related reasons
- Work pressure accounts for around half of all psychological injury claims while harassment and bullying represent around a quarter of such claims
- Australian businesses lose over $6.5bn each year by failing to provide early intervention/treatment for employees with mental health conditions.
According to a poll of ASX Top 300 companies by Chartered Secretaries Australia (CSA), nearly 70% of companies surveyed “did not have a dedicated and properly trained resource to identify and manage an employee suffering from mental illness”.
As the largest network of psychology practices in Australia, Life Resolutions can help make your workplace more healthy and safeguard your business. We can tailor an Employee Assistance Program to suit employee and organisational needs. All our services can be offered on site, or at more than 38 practice locations offering extended opening hours including evenings and Saturdays.
Call our Client Relationship Team on (03) 9380 4444 to find out how an Employee Assistance Program can benefit your business and its people.